Then you started driving.
You looked out over the hood and saw that oceanic indigo and thought 'this is what I want.' The automobile grumbled along, its engine note not reflective of it's aesthetic qualities. You stepped on the gas pedal, but it didn't accelerate the way you envisioned. The steering wheel wasn't quite shaped right you noticed, as you turned a corner. The seat was a little too soft, too, and you had a sinking feeling, not about the cushion, but about this car that you once dreamed of. The brakes were too touchy, and the shifting wasn't smooth. The radio had awful sound, and the seatbelt was uncomfortable. As you pulled back into the lot, you parked it where it started. You were glad to be done with your drive, and you shut it off and attempted to get out, but not before the seat belt wouldn't come undone. Finally, you managed to free yourself, and you slammed the door in disgust. This car was not what it had seemed.
This car's name was Sara.
So I read the rest of your posts and will now make my comments in one sweep. It's too bad the Blogger forces this crazy sign in thing that I can't read b/c I love reading and commenting on each post.
ReplyDeleteAnyways...
I am so impressed with your ability to write poetry, Isaac. You've used both rhymed and non-rhymed forms with good success. The metaphors you've created even in warmups are strikingly original and effective and imagistic--I was delighted. The best poems, I think, are the ones that linger in the mind, but of yours, so many are still doing so. The poem about quarreling/arguing, the extended metaphor of the car (Sara--I think it was a metaphor, although it could be literally a car), the definitions and poems about beauty and change--they are completely wonderful. You could read any of them in our chapel, although you could also read your rap you wrote for Mr. Schemper's class.
Anyhow, it is entirely evident that you've found your voice, and your voice is in poetry. I really really hope you'll keep writing it, that you'll study some poetry, that you'll take your gift seriously (take some CW courses in university/poetry writing courses/go to POetry Slams and listen and go to Open Mike Nights and read).
This is only the beginning! I think that's pretty sweet, and very exciting, and it makes me glad to see a student of mine whom I respect and honor find something within that is both authentic truth and art.